Home > Immigration Procedures > Choosing the Right Visa Category > Spouses and Dependents

Spouses and Dependents

The spouse and unmarried children under age 21 of an O or P beneficiary may qualify for O-3 or P-4 status respectively. If outside the U.S., they will use the related beneficiary's I-797 approval notice to obtain their visas directly from a U.S. consulate abroad. If already in the U.S., they may extend or change status by filing an I-539 Application with or after the I-129 petition is filed for the principal beneficiary. Either way, do not list them on the I-129 petition.

In addition, dependents of O and P principals who are not entitled to O-3 or P-4 status, such as parents, or unmarried significant others, may be able to obtain B visas to accompany the principal.

Aliens in the U.S. whose nonimmigrant status is dependent on someone else are prohibited from working without their own, independent work status.